Abby Weeks

Tax Preparer

Abby Weeks portrait
Abby Weeks is a registered tax preparer with an office in Hermon, Maine. She is available year-round.

With over 10 years of experience preparing federal and state tax returns, she specializes in individuals, small businesses and landlords. Meetings outside of regular business hours are easily arranged.

This is a small practice focused on quality and individual attention. Abby welcomes your business.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
No, I am not a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or an Enrolled Agent (EA).  This means I cannot represent you before appeals officers, revenue officers, or many other employees of the IRS over the phone or at an in-person meeting, except in very specific circumstances.

However, I CAN and WILL help you respond to IRS letters. I am registered as a tax return preparer with the IRS, I sign all of the returns I prepare, and I e-file exactly as a CPA would.  I am also subject to the same client privacy rules as a CPA.

So, why am I not a CPA?
I have the necessary education and experience to apply to be a CPA or an EA, but I have not sat the exams. CPAs and EAs are required to be proficient in ALL types of federal taxes, including those for very large businesses and complex situations which are not part of my practice.  I have focused on the areas of tax law that actually apply to my clients.
If you are a U.S. citizen or resident and you have total income over $12,000, or self-employment income over $400, there's a good chance you need to file a U.S. income tax return even if some of it comes from Social Security.  There is no age at which you no longer have to file.  I would be happy to go over your situation with you.

Even if you aren't REQUIRED to file, it may benefit you to file a return.  If your income is below the filing threshold, you may be able to get some or all of the tax withheld from your pay refunded to you.  There are also many "refundable credits" that could allow you to receive a refund even if you didn't have tax withheld.
Give me a call, and bring it to me!  Even if I didn't prepare the tax return in question, I can help you decipher the letter and figure out how to respond.  I always recommend bringing a copy of the tax return, as well as the letter.
While I specialize in Maine taxes, I can prepare an income tax return for any U.S. state, or combination of states you need.  (There may be an additional charge for states other than Maine.)
No, we can work remotely and use email and telephone if you prefer.  I use a secure online file sharing service that's very user-friendly, or you can just mail your documents to me.  NOTE: Please do not email anything with your Social Security Number or other personal identifying information.
There are benefits and drawbacks to either, and whether to stay a sole proprietor / independent contractor or form a new entity is an important decision.  Let's talk.  (I am not an attorney and cannot advise you regarding legal liability, but I'm happy to discuss tax, paperwork and record-keeping issues.)
Absolutely!  While I don't prepare Canadian income tax returns, I am very familiar with Canada-sourced income for U.S. residents, including the types treated as Social Security under tax treaty.